A New Environment to Improve Patients' Experiences and Opportunities to Heal
The new Mental Health Centre at VGH will be built to improve patient care by consolidating the majority of acute psychiatric services at VGH into one location – ensuring more streamlined and timely access to essential care. This new building will provide a healing and therapeutic environment where people are safe, protected and respected.
The New Mental Health Centre at VGH will feature:
• 100 beds - all in private rooms with their own washrooms
• Therapeutic environment that meets the needs of patients and modern health care
• Quiet areas for individual and group therapy
• Improved patient safety and security features
• Safe, private rooms on every inpatient floor for treatment and family visits
• Access to secure outdoor and green space
• Open spaces with natural light
• Warm, calming aesthetics
The new state of the art facility is a priority for VGH and Vancouver Coastal Health. The provincial government firmly supports this project and has announced apporximately $48 million in funding.
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is committed to raising $25 million from private donations. British Columbia philanthropists Joseph and Rosalie Segal
have made a lead gift of $12 million towards this.
Much support is still needed, you can help us reach our goal.
Make mental health matter.
Did you know?
One in five people experience a form of mental illness during their lifetime.
Two in three people do not seek help due to fear of judgment and rejection.
Almost 25 per cent of the Canadian population are impacted by mood and anxiety disorders.
One of the leading causes of workplace absenteeism and disability is mental illness.